A hydraulic press is an important piece of machinery that finds numerous application in industries. It makes use of the hydraulic cylinder to generate compressive force to perform the operation. The machine consists of a plate where the workpiece is placed for sample preparation. It also has a piston that functions as a pump to impart the mechanical force of moderate magnitude to the small area of the sample. For larger force magnitude applications, it is recommended to use pistons of greater diameter. The press operates on the principle of pascal’s law that states that when pressure is applied to a confined fluid, the pressure change occurs throughout the entire fluid. The major application of hydraulic press includes molding, blanking, punching, forging, deep drawing, and metal forming operations.
Structure of Hydraulic Press
The hydraulic presses are categorized into two types as per the direction of force, vertical and horizontal hydraulic presses. Usually, the presses have a vertical structure except for the few like the one used in extrusion that has a horizontal structure.
A hydraulic press structure can include two/four/eight columns, welding frame, and multi layered steel strip winding frame types. C-frame is mostly observed in medium and small vertical hydraulic presses. It is open on the three sides and is pretty convenient to handle.
A vertical transmission four column-free forging hydraulic press has the oil cylinder fixed on its upper beam with the plunger being rigidly attached to the movable beam. The vertical column provides a guiding path to the movable beam and moves in the upward and downward direction due to the pressure of working fluid. Hydraulic presses also consist workbench connected to the beam in its structure that reciprocates. Under the movable beam and worktable are installed, upper anvil and lower anvil. The frame comprising upper and lower beams & columns experiences most of the working force.
Advantages of Hydraulic Press
Hydraulic presses have many advantages over the other machinery for the given specified application. Some of them are:
· The items manufactured using hydraulic press are 20%-40% lighter than the stamping parts. Hence, this procedure is widely preferred in automobile applications to produce parts like engine and radiator bracket.
· The parts manufactured with hydraulic presses have increased fatigue strength. The rigidity of such products is also observed to increase that differs with the vertical and horizontal working direction of the machine.
· The production cost associated with the hydraulic press is considerably lower than other machines for the same application.
· Lesser amount of material is required to manufacture any part in the hydraulic press.
· Hydraulic press is offered in different design or models that make it applicable for a vast array of applications.
· The ram stroke of the machine is a very smooth one due to the hydraulic principle employed. Hence, at any point of the ram travel, tonnage can be achieved.
The Bottom Line: Yash Machine Tools supplies high-quality machines that are laced with all the modern-day technology devices. These machines have good workability and increase the overall efficiency in the industries where they are employed. Hydraulic press supplied by Yash Machine Tools is of the finest quality and have several advantages over other machines that justify its preference for wide applications.